- Name of the Department : Geography
- Year of Establishment : 1970
- Name of Head of the Department : Dr. Vilas B. Kamble
- Name of UG Coordinator : Dr. Amit E. Sonawane
- Name of PG Coordinator : Prof. Navnath L. Wayal
- Name of Research Coordinator : Dr. Amit E. Sonawane
The department of geography was establishment in the year 1975 since then it has been imparting quality teaching and effective learning. The Undergraduate courses i.e. BA and B.Sc. (Geography) at special level started immediately and the Post-Graduate course MA /M.Sc. was started in 1993. In 2023, SPPU gave an approval of research centre to the department that will offer several programs to support and guide research students. The department has an effective tie-up with IIRS, ISRO which offers off -campus RS and GIS certificate course. The department is well equipped with, LCD projector labs, computer laboratory, Wi-Fi, advanced and up-to-date mapping software, surveying and weather instruments, SOI, USGS & OS Toposheets, wall maps, globes, departmental library and research lab which provides an effective learning environment to the students and research scholars.
It also encourages and facilitates scholars to pursue their career in higher studies and conducting research with ethics and academic integrity in the field of geography and allied disciplines. It has been attracting students from all over the country and abroad. The experienced faculty of the department is devoted to train the students to develop their skills in cartography, geo-informatics, surveying, management, statistical analysis, and other related areas. Alumni of the department have contributed in the various fields such as administration, academics, science and technology, defence, entrepreneurship, social work, research, etc.
Salient Features of the Department
- Well qualified, skilled and dedicated faculty
- Advanced teaching and learning resources and methods
- Career guidance cell for students.
- Internet Access to the students
- Separate departmental library and study room.
- Skill development course ‘Certificate Course in GIS’.
- Career development course in ‘Travel and Tourism’.
- Well equipped laboratories for academic
- Department is running one project sanctioned by University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
- Remedial teaching for academically weak student.
- Well planed study tours are arranged for students.
- Workshops, guest lectures, seminars, exhibition and quiz competition for overall development of the students.
- “Vasundhara Manch” is the platform for students. Different academic and co curricular activities use to conduct through this platform.