The department of German offers undergraduate courses for German. German was introduced in the junior wing in 1976. It was introduced in the senior wing of commerce in 2001, and in the Arts faculty in 2009. Since then it has been flourishing. In 2014 the department got permission from the SPPU to introduce German as a special subject for B.A. A landmark agreement was signed between Modern College and PASCH, an initiative by the German education ministry, on 22nd April, 2009. Modern college is one of the 1000 colleges chosen worldwide for an agreement of this sort. Under this agreement, all the teachers and students are given help in various forms for learning and enhancing the knowledge of German language, thus spreading importance of learning foreign languages.
The department is very proud of its students, who have represented the college at national and international level. Prachi Atre, Aditi Jagdale and Ashwami Patil have been awarded with the DAAD Scholarship, giving them an opportunity to attend a language course at Humboldt University in Berlin in June 2016.
Salient Features of the Department
- The department offers add-on courses, thus preparing the students for internationally acclaimed examinations of Goethe Institute, Max Mueller Bhavan, Pune.
- We are associated with DAAD (German Academic Service Exchange) through which we attend seminars and workshops for teachers and students.
- The department also organizes industrial visits for students to popular German setups in Pune.
- We offer insight into career opportunities, by conducting guest lectures.
- Students can interact with German natives and thus broaden their knowledge about German culture and language.
- Extracurricular activities organized by the department helps the students to strengthen their speaking and listening skills, and also exhibit their talent.
- Modern College has collaboration with PASCH, project of Foreign Office, Germany.
- Students can benefit from using language laboratory and thus improve on their language proficiency.