Governance Structure of Autonomous Colleges :
There are following statutory bodies in the Autonomous Colleges :
- Governing Body
- Academic Council
- Board of Studies
- Finance Committee
Functions of Governing Body :
Subject to the existing provision in the bye-laws of respective college and rules laid down by the state government/parent university, the Governing Body shall:
- Guide the college while fulfilling the objectives for which the college has been granted autonomous status.
- Institute scholarships, fellowships, studentships, medals, prizes and certificates on the recommendations of the Academic Council
- Approve new programmes of study leading to degrees and/or diplomas.
- All recruitments of Teaching Faculty/Principal shall be made by the Governing Body/state government as applicable in accordance with the policies laid down by the UGC and State Government from time to time.
- To approve annual budget of the college before submitting the same at the UGC.
- Perform such other functions and institute committees, as may be necessary and deemed fit for the proper development of the college
Functions of the Academic Council:
The Academic Council shall have powers to:
- Scrutinize and approve the proposals with or without modification of the Boards of Studies with regard to courses of study, academic regulations, curricula, syllabi and modifications thereof, instructional and evaluation arrangements, methods, procedures relevant thereto etc., provided that where the Academic Council differs on any proposal, it shall have the right to return the matter for reconsideration to the Board of Studies concerned or reject it, after giving reasons to do so.
- Make regulations regarding the admission of students to different programmes of study in the college keeping in view the policy of the Government.
- Make regulations for sports, extra-curricular activities, and proper maintenance and functioning of the playgrounds and hostels.
- Recommend to the Governing Body proposals for institution of new programmes of study.
- Recommend to the Governing Body institution of scholarships, studentships, fellowships, prizes and medals, and to frame regulations for the award of the same.
- Advise the Governing Body on suggestions(s) pertaining to academic affairs made by it.
- Perform such other functions as may be assigned by the Governing Body.
Functions of Board of Studies :
- The Board of Studies of a Department in the college shall:
- Prepare syllabi for various courses keeping in view the objectives of the college, interest of the stakeholders and national requirement for consideration and approval of the Academic Council;
- Suggest methodologies for innovative teaching and evaluation techniques;
- Suggest panel of names to the Academic Council for appointment of examiners; and
- Coordinate research, teaching, extension and other academic activities in the department/college.
Functions of the Finance Committee:
The Finance Committee shall act as an advisory body to the Governing Body, to consider:
- Budget estimates relating to the grant received/receivable from UGC, and income from fees, etc. collected for the activities to undertake the scheme of autonomy;
- Audited accounts for the above.