History of Department
- The subject of Political Science was introduced in Modern College in the year 1971.
- In 1978 the subject achieved the status of permanent affiliation.
- In the beginning, Prof. V. G. Nandedkar was Head of the Department. In 1974, Mr. Rajendra Vora was appointed. His tenure was full of activities.
- In the year 1976, the department had organized One-day seminar on the topic “ 42nd Amendment Of The Indian Constitution.” A workshop on the topic “ Panchayat Raj in Maharashtra” was organised on 16th February 1975.
- One of the well-known scholars associated with the department after Mr. Rajendra Vora was Prof.Yashwant Sumant. He contributed to the department during 1977 to 1989.
- Prof. S. N. Navalgundkar who worked as the Pro- Vice Chancellor for the year 1987-88 in the Pune University was a part of this department.
- In 1988-89 Mr. Sunil Jaysingh Kavade was appointed as a lecturer in the department.
- In 1991-92 Mrs. Neeta Bokil was appointed. Now, she heads Political Science department in the H.V. Desai college, Pune.
- Since July 1995, Mr. D. L. Khokale has been working in the department. He has completed an orientation course from the University of Pune (now SPPU, Pune) in 1998. Under his headship department conducted several activities. He has contributed many times in the Central Assessment Programme (CAP), specially in 2007, he chaired CAP committee for politics special paper first and second Annual examination
- In 2011, Department with other Social Sciences in the college organised State Level Seminar on the topic “Research in Social Sciences: Techniques And Trends.”
- In 2012 the department was a part of the University level seminar on “Current Status and Future Scope of Social Sciences”
Salient Features of Department
- Well qualified and dedicated faculty.
- Career guidance for students.
- Dedication for enhancing overall progress of students.
- Innovative style and student based teaching.