Microbiology is study of microorganisms and is one of the significant branches of sciences to understand the principles of life which has roots in the study of various microbial systems. Though it is a basic science, it is multidisciplinary as well. Its various branches such as Medical Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Virology, Air -, Water -, Soil -, Agriculture -, Food -, Dairy, Space Microbiology, Biotechnology, Fermentation Technology etc. has never ending impact on human life and making earth a better place to live.
Department of Microbiology was established in 2005. The undergraduate course was started in 2005 and postgraduate course was started in 2006. The department envisions creating skilled human resource in the field of Microbiology.
It is recognized by Savitribai Phule Pune University as a Research Center in Microbiology for M. Phil. Skill development course entitled ‘Pharmaceutical Techniques’ and various co-curricular activities are conducted for enhancing overall progress of students.
The faculty in the department is well qualified with a pronounced academic and research experience. The research papers of faculty and students of the department have been published in peer reviewed national and international journals. The department is associated with various renowned national institutes and colleges in Pune such as NCL, ARI, NIV, NARI, IISER, NCCS, MCC, Ayurveda Rasashala, National Toxicology Center, Modern College of Pharmacy, Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd. and Satara College of Pharmacy. The department is actively collaborated with AMI, Pune Unit and American Society of Microbiology (ASM).
The department recruites students in various esteemed institutes and industries. It organizes various social activities to create awareness about the impact of microbial world on human health and environment.
Salient Features of the Department
- Well qualified, skilled and dedicated faculty
- Advanced teaching and learning resources and methods
- Career guidance and placement cell for students.
- Collaborations with various Departments of Savitribai Phule Pune University and other reputed institutes such as NIV, NCL, NCCS, NARI, etc. for research projects.
- Department has completed 3 projects funded by Board of College and University Development, University of Pune.
- Department is running 2 projects sanctioned by University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
- Internet Access to the students
- Separate departmental library
- Skill development course ‘Certificate Course in Pharmaceutical Technique’.
- Well equipped laboratories for academic and research activities
- Workshops, guest lectures, seminars, exhibition and quiz competition for overall development of the students.