The Department of Economics was established in Modern College, Shivajinagar in the year 1970. Economics as a special subject for BA was introduced in the year 1973.Bachelor in Arts in Economics (English Medium) was introduced in 2005. Post –graduation in Economics was introduced in 2008. The department has started Ph.D Research Centre in 2012.
Salient Features of the Department
- The Department of Economics at Modern College, Shivajinagar, Pune 05, prepares students to succeed in a global business environment that is known today for the rapid pace of change.
- It offers a widely recognised three-year Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree program and two year Master of Arts (MA) program that emphasises theoretical and analytical skills, and a broad-based education.
- There are a variety of extracurricular activities including the elocution competition, essay competition, visits to academic and industrial units, etc. to promote student events and activities.
- Workshops are conducted for Quality Enhancement and Research Improvement
- One of the very few colleges in Pune where mathematical Economics and Econometrics is taught at M.A. Economics.
- A certificate course in basic Mathematics and statistics is run by the department for Quantitative Economics.
- The department has a research centre in Economics which also publishes research annual named RESECO with ISSN No. 2395-6860.
- The College offers admissions and support services to international students to help them adjust to a new environment.
- Our student has been awarded second prize in research competition ‘AVISHKAR’
- Encouragement for research activities teachers and students.