Department of Botany was established in 1971 with Botany as Graduate course under the leadership of Dr A K Pande. The Post graduate Department was established in 1993 .The Botany department was granted recognized research center in 1984. The area of Botany department is 4400 sq. feet and has 4 laboratories including research laboratory and plant tissue culture laboratory. The departmental library has more than 300 books. The labs are equipped with LCDs, and OHPs. Botanical garden is well maintained by the department with shade net house and medicinal plants.
The Botany department also conducts skill development courses in Plant Tissue Culture, Seed Technology, and Ayurvedic Medicines & Herbal Product Preparation.
The objective of the Department of Botany has been to impart quality education to students at Junior, Senior, Post-graduate, Doctoral Research and Post Doctoral Research levels.
Salient Features of the Department
- Well experienced and qualified staff
- Well equipped and spacious laboratories
- Well maintained collection and display of botanical specimens
- Research funding worth more than one crore received from funding agencies such as UGC, DST, DBT and BCUD.
- Development of ‘Digital Herbarium‘ of plants of Western Ghat regions of Maharashtra