Commerce Grant in Aid Section
The Department of Commerce (which is a faculty at university level) includes 8 subjects, Accountancy, Cost and Works Accounting, Business Administration, Marketing, Business Law, Business Practices, Mathematics and Statistics, Banking and Finance, Business Economics. The Department of Commerce has been a major section of Modern College of Arts Science and Commerce, Shivajinagar, Pune 5. It was started in the very first year, which is 1970, under the leadership of the then Principal Prof. M.B. Limaye. Right from the beginning senior and reputed teachers from different institutions are associated with the Department. The department has maintained a good combination of faculty of academicians and professionals. This has helped a great deal in effective implementation of the teaching program. Principal Limaye took lead in starting M.Com, the first Post-Graduate course in the College in 1978. Junior wing of the department started in the year 1977.
Salient Features of the Department:
- Department since inception of the College
- The Department has received permanent affiliation to SPPU for B. Com. and M. Com.
- Well qualified faculty
- First Department to get permanent Post -Graduate recognition
- Renowned persons like Cost Accountants, Chartered Accountants, and Lawyers are faculty members of the Department.
- Department with largest strength of students in the College
- Since June 2008, the Department has a Research Centre for pursuing Ph. D. in Accountancy, Banking and Finance, Business Administration, Marketing Management, Business Practices and Business Economics.
- Some members of the Department have been Chairmen, Members of the Boards of Studies and Management Council Members under Commerce Faculty of the SPPU. They actively participate in academic activities at university level like syllabi framing, assessment of students. Thus, the academic and administrative issues are positively represented at university level.
- The Department provides Skill Development Courses: – ‘Certificate Course in Computerized Accounting, Workshop on Accounting and Finance, Modi Script. Skill Development Programme, Introduction to Stock Trading, introduction to Graphology.
- The Department organises Industrial visits, Workshops, Guest lectures, Seminars, Exhibition and various competitions for all round development of the students.
Current Head of the Department: Dr. A.V. Kamble ( From May 2017)
|Former Head of the Department||Period|
|Mr. M.B. Limaye||1970 –1978|
|Mr. S. G. Datar||1978 –1995|
|Mr. A. G. Gosavi||1995 –1998|
|Dr. Y. R. Waghmare||1998 –2017|
Contribution to the University – (Savitribai Phule Pune University – SPPU)
|Dr. A. V. Kamble||Member –SPPU Senate (2010-2015) and presently Chairman Board of Studies (Business Administration)|
|Dr. Y.R. Waghmare||Member of Board of Studies–Accountancy and Cost and Works Accounting|
|Dr. Y.R. Waghmare
& C.A. R. P. Date
|Guest lectures at Dept of Commerce — SPPU|
|Dr. S. K. Rahane & Prof. S. R. Hirve||Programmes on ‘Vidyavahini’ –SPPU ‘’s FM radio station|
|Dr. S. K. Rahane & Prof. S. R. Hirve||Contributed as expert – e content develpoment programme at EMRC(Educational Multimedia Research Centre)– – SPPU|
|Dr. S. K. Rahane||Conducted workshops under Vidyarthini Arogya Prabhodhan organised by Health Centre– SPPU|